The Poli Group is a family-run company established in 1938 when Beniamino and Giuseppe Poli opened a small greengrocer. It is now a successful chain.
It has always focuses on growth and improvement and intends to continue its market success on the long-term, generating the public's recognition and trust in its operations. (for further information see enclosed file Key stages in the Poli Group's growth)
The business strategy focuses on local growth without overlooking national and international distribution system evolution in the attempt to remain competitive and innovative.
1) POLI – Food Channel. We have 3 formats:
- Poli Supermarkets: 48 POS with up to 2,000 square meter surface areas, distributed throughout the Trentino Alto Adige region.
- Iper Poli: a “mega store” with surface area over 2,000 square meters, located in Bolzano
- Mini Poli: we are currently developing a new format to create a Mini Poli line (working title): neighborhood stores to meet "close to home" daily grocery needs.
(see enclosed file Poli Supermarket Logo - IperPoli Logo)
2) REGINA DEPARTMENT STORES – Non-food Channel
- 13 Department Stores, located in the Trentino Alto Adige and Veneto regions (Verona and Cassola). Merchandise sold: men's, women's and children's apparel and underwear, housewares, beauty supplies, office supplies, toys, home entertainment. (see enclosed file Regina Department Store Logo)
Food channel (Poli) brand positioning in terms of image and communications is based on 4 key concepts: quality, convenience, innovation and localization.
While our company is deeply rooted in our host land with an over 50-year old family tradition, we highly focus on modernizing our customer services and product range. A claim that describes us: "Innovation and tradition, two faces of the same coin".
WHAT IS IT ?
In this step you will find information about the Brand Builder, who is asking you to propose a Solution for the challenge. He introduces himself (as a Brand of course :) The more you understand about the Brand, the more chances you have to create what is wanted.
IMPORTANT: There is a possibility that the Brand Builder prefers not to disclose who he is, usually for confidentiality reasons. Such Briefs will be published in an anonymous way. In this case the Brand Builder will say as much as he feels comfortable saying.
Here are two EXAMPLES
In case there is no problem with disclosing the identity (VISIBLE):
“NMN -No More Nicotine- is a Brand that promises to counteract the damages to the skin that can be caused by smoking. NMN is distributed in pharmacies and drugstores and its price positioning is middle-high; it is mainly promoted through professional endorsement and is not massively advertised.”
In case the Brand doesn’t want to disclose his identity (ANONYMOUS):
“Brand counteracting the damages to skin caused by smoking. Its products are distributed in pharmacies and drugstores with a middle-high price positioning; they are mainly promoted through professional endorsement and are not massively advertised.”
In summary: Who is your client (in a visible or “anonymous” way :)
We're looking for a new LOGO for the food channel (Poli)
The logo should have 3 different versions, according to the following suffixes:
1 – Poli SUPERMERCATI
2 – Poli IPER
3 – Poli MINI. The MINI brand is not official. Thus alternatives to the MINI suffix should be proposed.
Poli text and graphics should be identical in the three versions; the suffixes 'SUPERMERCATI', 'IPER' AND 'MINI' may vary (for example, by color and/or font) to differentiate the formats.
The new logo should:
- consider Poli's tradition and history as a cherished inheritance, keystone of its image with customers. Thus it is essential that the change is inserted in a reassuring context. Therefore, instead of a revolution, we are looking for an evolution, consistent with what Poli was and is today, even if with its sights set on the future (for further information, see current logo market research abstract);
- be consistent with the coordinated image and communications project guidelines developed for all stores so as not to create discrepancies between the external sign and the store interior (for further information see enclosed file POS ICC project);
- create an across-the-board sign identity for the 3 formats (Poli supermarkets, mega stores and "mini" stores) while still differentiating them;
- clearly include the Supermercato (or Super), Iper and Mini suffixes;
- be easy to position as both a sign and signature for informative material such as leaflets, catalogues, various advertising materials (for further information see enclosed file informative material examples);
- consider architectural application problems on store fronts which highly differ (for further information see enclosed file photographic store front examples);
- synchronize with the REGINA brand on both the sign and informative material level (for further information see enclosed file photographic store front examples and informative material examples) ;
!!!Update as of August 5!!!
Here are some advances on the brief in light of the screening of the proposals. We kindly ask all creators, those chosen and those who would like to post new proposals, to watch carefully.
EVOLUTION OR REVOLUTION?
We evaluated all the proposals and saw that there was more than just a partial modification of the logo but tended to restyle the logo. We gladly considered good proposals that dared to go beyond the old logo but that at the same time stuck to it, are consistent with it and that are traceable to the old logo.
USE OF COLOUR
We'd like to see the use of colours for the different formats, relative to the suffixes, as follows:
- POLI red
- SUPER blue / sky-blue
- HYPER orange
- MINI green
USE OF THE SUFFIXES HYPER - SUPER AND MINI
We would like the suffix to be harmonized with the logo and give immediate information on the size of the format (sale point). Creators can use uppercase and lowercase letters depending on the suffix.
DECLENSION ON SIGNS AND COMMUNICATION MATERIAL
At least one of the proposals for the SUPER and HYPER signs should be packed in a box. Tags should be plain and not overly irregular because this causes adaptation problems on the sides and excessive production costs. All proposals for signs, either placed in boxes or with a tag, should be seen on a picture. At least one viewing of Super Poly should be together with Regina.
We would like to see evidence of the application of all three proposals (Hyper – Super – Mini) on the flyer/loyalty card: Where the Poli logo (without suffixes) lives with Regina on the home page of the internet site
USE OF THE PINWHEEL
The pinwheel could also be replaced, evolving in a similar sign that brings the pinwheel to mind.
!!!The end of update!!!
WHAT IS IT ?
This is the task the Brand Builder asks you to accomplish. If you don’t understand it, you are completely out of luck !
“We ask the Creators to develop a print advertising campaign in order to increase Brand’s visibility. It will be used in national magazines this spring.”
In summary: It’s the objective of the client, therefore your objective too !
The Poli customer, although included in an extended target concept, typical of food distribution, stands out for some aspects. He tends to be younger than those of Poli's main competitors, is employed and is part of a more open and modern family where shopping is divided by several family members.
WHAT IS IT?
People that the Brand Builder wants you to entertain and persuade to think, feel or do something using your creation. Usually you will read about their age, sex, social level and behaviors. You should always keep that information in mind while creating, as the target audience is the final recipient of what you create.
“Smoking girls and women who would like to quit smoking but can’t. Usually health-conscious adults who care about their looks. They feel guilty about smoking because they know it is harmful. They read books about it. This is a real problem for them: it’s like “My brain wants something, but my body acts of its own accord”. They don’t relate to my brand, they are just waiting for a trustworthy “helping hand”.
In summary: Get under their skin !
We want our customers to recognize the new brand and appreciate the renewal that is still consistent with the current image.
WHAT IS IT?
The thing that the Brand Builder wants to make the target audience think/feel/do because of your creation.
Here are some very concrete examples:
∞ Some things people can think/feel:
- There is a new Brand (or product or idea or...) out there
- This Brand is better than the alternatives or than it used to be
- This Brand is worth paying more for
∞ Some things people can do:
- Start buying the Brand’s products
- Buy the Brand more often
- Stock more products of the Brand in their outlets
The above written examples are very concrete whilst often the proposition of the Brief is emotional. That’s even better as it can be more inspiring!
“We’d like to encourage smokers to use NMN in order to minimize the damage to their health while they are keeping giving up smoking (especially if they’ve already tried and failed before).”
In summary: Get inside their brain !
Customers recognize Poli's net strengths as assortment, fresh produce quality, management efficiency and service innovation.
We offer quality products and services at convenient prices through average-large sized points of sale, efficiently developing the distribution network and furthering complete customer satisfaction.
WHAT IS IT?
This is the key to achieving the objective. It is what supports the proposition and makes it believable. Usually it is a rational statement.
“Every cigarette you smoke is causing damage to your appearance. A recent study took several pairs of identical twins where one twin was a lifelong smoker and the other had never smoked. The smokers’ skin was a quarter thinner than that of non-smokers, and in some cases there were differences of up to 40%. NMN contains thinning-blocking anti-oxidants which counteract the effect of nicotine on the skin.”
In summary: You are looking for arguments? You’ll find them here!
WHAT IS IT?
It’s who the Brand is. Yes... who!
Treat the Brand as a human being, as it has its own personality. To know the personality of the “client” is fundamental in order to provide a tailor-made job. So, read carefully the listed adjectives...
“Scientific, trustworthy, result-oriented, ‘a party’ to achieve your goals.”
In summary: Imagine the live person !
- Informative material (Balance Sheet, Financial Statements, Various communications);
- Advertising material (Leaflets, Catalogues, Print advertisements, TV commercials, Website …);
- In-house and POS consumption material (bags, staff uniforms, various bags and containers, letter head, business cards …).
WHAT IS IT?
A list of places (or media, or things) where the target audience will see the outcome of your creation. In this step sometimes the Brand will also acknowledge you how much he plans to invest into production. This information will give you an insight whether to create a BIG project or make it small... :)
“This campaign is going to appear in lifestyle- and health-focused women magazines of New Zealand, during the spring of 2009. We plan to invest 500,000 USD, which means approximately buying 100 single pages.”
In summary: Consider the medium !
The use of the coordinated image and communications project color is best: Poli red, pantone 1807C.
The use of the "pinwheel" graphic element, distinctive of the current logo and the entire coordinated store image and communications project, is best. There are no restrictions concerning the color of the current pinwheel (blue) and its graphic position (as the dot on the i).
See enclosed file Poli pinwheel.
We accept JPG and PDF formats for the presentation stage.
!!! Update as of June 18!!!
The winner will be asked to provide professional formats for the following:
• Logo Supermarket Poli, Iper Poli, Mini Poli: both colored and negative version
• Logo display on supermarket front wall
• Logo display on informative materials: Poli Supermarkets and IperPloi flyers
!!! The end of update
If the Brand has preferences or technical requirements that your Solution has to match, you will find them here.
Here are some items that you may find in this section:
∞ Guidelines or mandatory inclusions (do’s and/or don’ts)
∞ Business objectives
∞ Market and competitors overview
∞ Good and bad samples
Depending on the Brief, you may also find some files attached with a logo, pictures of product(s), a template that you should use in order to submit your ideas, or any other file that the Brand wants to share with you. So, study the attachments before starting creating.
In summary: Anything else you need to know (not written in the 7 steps before) !