Montalto is Very Sicilian.
Montalto is a brand of traditional Sicilian wines interpreted in a modern way to give the feeling of the Italian lifestyle. The wines are produced with an innovative combination of native Sicilian grapes and the more renowned international grape varieties.
WHAT IS IT ?
In this step you will find information about the Brand Builder, who is asking you to propose a Solution for the challenge. He introduces himself (as a Brand of course :) The more you understand about the Brand, the more chances you have to create what is wanted.
IMPORTANT: There is a possibility that the Brand Builder prefers not to disclose who he is, usually for confidentiality reasons. Such Briefs will be published in an anonymous way. In this case the Brand Builder will say as much as he feels comfortable saying.
Here are two EXAMPLES
In case there is no problem with disclosing the identity (VISIBLE):
“NMN -No More Nicotine- is a Brand that promises to counteract the damages to the skin that can be caused by smoking. NMN is distributed in pharmacies and drugstores and its price positioning is middle-high; it is mainly promoted through professional endorsement and is not massively advertised.”
In case the Brand doesn’t want to disclose his identity (ANONYMOUS):
“Brand counteracting the damages to skin caused by smoking. Its products are distributed in pharmacies and drugstores with a middle-high price positioning; they are mainly promoted through professional endorsement and are not massively advertised.”
In summary: Who is your client (in a visible or “anonymous” way :)
To renew the artwork of the Bag in box range considering the existence of 2 whites 1 rosé and 2 reds.
The difference between the different products must be evident since in some markets they coexist on the same shelf.
It has to be more modern and good looking, it is necessary to work on its classical look. Complements to the objective:
- New pack must not disorient the consumer already buying this product; she/he has to recognize that it is the same wine he was already buying (just nicer ;-).
- Both Bag in Box and bottle are present in the same shop, they need to be easy recognizable and complementary one to the other in order to enhance visibility.
!!!Update as of November 29, 2010!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ez0DXSFkRWc
!!!the end of update!!!
WHAT IS IT ?
This is the task the Brand Builder asks you to accomplish. If you don’t understand it, you are completely out of luck !
“We ask the Creators to develop a print advertising campaign in order to increase Brand’s visibility. It will be used in national magazines this spring.”
In summary: It’s the objective of the client, therefore your objective too !
It’s almost impossibile to clearly identify wine consumers, buts let’s consider that the world divides into 4 segments:
Age: 18-26, over 50
Status: Low income/students/retired/loyal to the price
Note: Beer, wine, vodka, it does not matter as long as it is cheap and gets drunk!
Type: Wine lovers
Age: 30 - 55
Status: Loyal to the brand
Note: Like the wine, consider it as a lifestyle concept (many women...)
Type: Wine freaks
Age: 40 – 60
Status: High income/high social position/high knowledge/very curious, not loyal to any brand
Note: (Many man...) The type of maybe writes about wine or uses as a social show off element. The type of guy that goes to the restaurant with a wine guide.
Status: Very high income/high knowledge/brand lovers
Note: ok as long as it is expensive.
Montalto is a medium high positioned product. The packaging itself it has to communicate prestige and “premiumness”.
The bag in box must satisfy both wine lovers (because the brand s widely distributed and known) but also the wine freaks that will be positively impressed by the high quality price ratio.
Our target is probably between 30 and 55 years old, from BE NE LUX; Finland, Norway, Sweden, Canada. They know Italy (don’t make much of a difference between Italy and Sicily), they have travelled at least once or plan to do so in the next 3 years. They are inspired thanks to Italian wine to all the cultural values that Italy represents: Art de vivre, fashion, food, Vespa, Cinquecento, Ferrari, dolce vita, elegance, classy, territory, family, social values, hedonism.
WHAT IS IT?
People that the Brand Builder wants you to entertain and persuade to think, feel or do something using your creation. Usually you will read about their age, sex, social level and behaviors. You should always keep that information in mind while creating, as the target audience is the final recipient of what you create.
“Smoking girls and women who would like to quit smoking but can’t. Usually health-conscious adults who care about their looks. They feel guilty about smoking because they know it is harmful. They read books about it. This is a real problem for them: it’s like “My brain wants something, but my body acts of its own accord”. They don’t relate to my brand, they are just waiting for a trustworthy “helping hand”.
In summary: Get under their skin !
Montalto wines are easy to identify products, made for the consumers that want to get emotions from an Italian experience.
The bag in box has the following objectives:
- To come out of the overloaded shelf. (See folder “Competitors/point_of_sale”).
- To attract the consumer by creating approval and admiration.
- Easy to identify and to recognize as a high value product (that it is worth more than they would pay for).
- To create a connection with the bottled wine present in the same shelf, or in the same shop with common and easy to recognize graphical elements. The bottles and the Bag in Box must be complementary and concur to enhance the visibility and brand recognition.
- To allow an evident differentiation within the different wines and types of the same range (see step 1) to avoid cannibalization if more than one Montalto bag in box is in the same shelf.
- To communicate the unique place where the wine comes from: Sicily! So to communicate all those aspects that people know about this magical place, its tourism attractions (Palermo, Etna Volcano, seaside, sunshine).
- To avoid baroque and kitsch elements.
WHAT IS IT?
The thing that the Brand Builder wants to make the target audience think/feel/do because of your creation.
Here are some very concrete examples:
∞ Some things people can think/feel:
- There is a new Brand (or product or idea or...) out there
- This Brand is better than the alternatives or than it used to be
- This Brand is worth paying more for
∞ Some things people can do:
- Start buying the Brand’s products
- Buy the Brand more often
- Stock more products of the Brand in their outlets
The above written examples are very concrete whilst often the proposition of the Brief is emotional. That’s even better as it can be more inspiring!
“We’d like to encourage smokers to use NMN in order to minimize the damage to their health while they are keeping giving up smoking (especially if they’ve already tried and failed before).”
In summary: Get inside their brain !
Montalto is a prestige wine with an attractive packaging; precious yet accessible to all pockets even the price sensible but smart consumers. Once the consumer chooses the wine she/he will appreciate it and will be satisfied (the wines always win medals at international tasting awards). Now competition is tougher than ever so also other products taste and look good. For this reason Montalto has to be Fascinating to convince the consumer.
WHAT IS IT?
This is the key to achieving the objective. It is what supports the proposition and makes it believable. Usually it is a rational statement.
“Every cigarette you smoke is causing damage to your appearance. A recent study took several pairs of identical twins where one twin was a lifelong smoker and the other had never smoked. The smokers’ skin was a quarter thinner than that of non-smokers, and in some cases there were differences of up to 40%. NMN contains thinning-blocking anti-oxidants which counteract the effect of nicotine on the skin.”
In summary: You are looking for arguments? You’ll find them here!
Montalto Family after 5 generation of winemaking tradition in Sicily decided to present worldwide quality wines from Sicily; yet Montalto is not a dusty traditional brand at all! It is more a participation and sharing of wine passion between the Montalto Family and a group of young international wine professionals (winemakers, wine importers, wine specialists) that gathered together with the objective of making the Sicilian wines attractive both to the eyes and to the palate of international wine consumers. Just to give you an idea Montalto has been the first Sicilian wine producer to present to the Scandinavian markets high quality wines in an alternative and modern packaging like the Bag in Boxes (and not only in the classical glass bottles). Montalto is the essence of the best “Sicilianity”, distilled in a modern proposal of exciting wines. Montalto is history, culture and innovation, a holistic view of wine as a representative element of the Italian lifestyle.
WHAT IS IT?
It’s who the Brand is. Yes... who!
Treat the Brand as a human being, as it has its own personality. To know the personality of the “client” is fundamental in order to provide a tailor-made job. So, read carefully the listed adjectives...
“Scientific, trustworthy, result-oriented, ‘a party’ to achieve your goals.”
In summary: Imagine the live person !
Montalto Bag in Box is distributed in Europe’s main retail chains (so called Off-trade channel especially in Finland and Norway):
Tesco, Waitrose, Carrefour, Metro, Edeka, Real, Bilka, Dansk Supermarked, Coop, Scandinavian Monopolies (Alko, Systembolaget,) Canadian Monopolies, USA liquor stores, Duty Free and Travel Retail.
On the shelf with other Italian wines, Sicilian wines otherwise in “second placements” and gondola displays, or display pallets (see example in folder “Display palette”).
WHAT IS IT?
A list of places (or media, or things) where the target audience will see the outcome of your creation. In this step sometimes the Brand will also acknowledge you how much he plans to invest into production. This information will give you an insight whether to create a BIG project or make it small... :)
“This campaign is going to appear in lifestyle- and health-focused women magazines of New Zealand, during the spring of 2009. We plan to invest 500,000 USD, which means approximately buying 100 single pages.”
In summary: Consider the medium !
Elements to be used attached to the brief:
- Use the Cutter (printing equipment) in the folder “Fustella Elementi Grafici” (see example “Acual_Red_Bag_in_Box" e Acual_White_Bag_in_Box”
- From the same folder take the signature and the inspiration for graphical elements from the file “To_Take_Design_elements” and “sicila_yellow_click”.
- Not mandatory (but often used) the bottle picture on the box, folder “bottle images”.
- Use logos that you can find in “Montalto Designer Kit”. Logo “Montalto” - logo “Very Sicilian” in the back label.
- Invent and use quality elements (like ribbons and seals)
- Give an Italian touch, see “Esempio_Da_Luca”
- Use arching effect like (iPhone apps) to give perspective and modernity.
- Use our image bank using the corporate images you can download from the following link:
(Copyright pictures please be careful)
Art work standards:
- All graphical elements and effects must be stated on the ready to print file, varnishing, shining, type of paper or any other characteristic the artwork will have.
- Solution Presentation: An A4 side in pdf or JPG format showing both the layout (unfolded) and the 3d visual.
- The winner must give ready to print EPS files.
Other important information
- To young and spice up the design without losing the classical style.
- The new image must bring the consumer to recognize the old product (see folder attached “Fustelle e Elementi grafici/Actual_Bag_In_Box” and “Bottles_Images/actual_BiB”
- With the objective of enhancing the visibility on the shelf the design of the main side could “melt” with the design of one of the short sides of the box.
- The design must be clearly identifiable even if it will stay on a display pallet (4 cm trays see attached picture “Display_Palette”).
- Use the “dead” sides like the top side.
- Of the two short sides consider the one with the opening (where the tap comes out of) as being the “front label” of a wine bottle (it must be a branding mean), and the opposite side an being the back label where all the legal information will be placed (pictograms, descriptions, bar code etc.).
- In the back label please include information present in the file “back label requirements”
- Invent food matching ICONS (see “Fustella elementi grafici/food icons”)
- Declination could be given by a different picture, a different background color of the large side or the short side.
- In the lower part keep the space for opening instructions (see “Acual_Red_Bag_in_Box”)
- Avoid dangerous relations like wine + drive (vespa, scooters, cinquecento, people driving) or wine and young kids.
- Products are displayed on the shelf by country of origin/price and the most selling products are in placed in display pallets (see attachments “display pallete”).
- The “Competitors” folder will help you getting a better understanding of how our competitors present their products.
- The “Very_Sicilian_Campaign” folder is to show you what has been presented as the advertising campaign.
If the Brand has preferences or technical requirements that your Solution has to match, you will find them here.
Here are some items that you may find in this section:
∞ Guidelines or mandatory inclusions (do’s and/or don’ts)
∞ Business objectives
∞ Market and competitors overview
∞ Good and bad samples
Depending on the Brief, you may also find some files attached with a logo, pictures of product(s), a template that you should use in order to submit your ideas, or any other file that the Brand wants to share with you. So, study the attachments before starting creating.
In summary: Anything else you need to know (not written in the 7 steps before) !